Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sharing Lent with the Kids

Painting of Jesus by TP's favorite artist, Akiane
It's Lent again...

Every year for the past 3 or 4 years, there are three things I love to do with my Tweetie Pie to make the meaning of Christ's death and resurrection more accessible and understandable for her:

1) Watch (or read) The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (either the Chronicles of Narnia movie or the old '70s cartoon movie which I also love),

2)  Go to Chruch Simplified's The Walkway in Bonifacio High Street. (I hope they still have it this year.)  TP enjoys participating in the activities there that really help her to put her own reflections into the concrete.

and

3) Read The Amazing Journey by Susie Poole.  I absolutely love how this book explains how Jesus changed the commandments when He came!


This year, dear hubby and I shared with her what we were giving up for the Lenten season (gulp! night time munching, including my favorite dark chocolates!).  She decided to join in as well and gave up all screen time (TV, iPad, Internet, except if we decide to watch a movie as a family) for the entire 40 days.

Today, Tweetie Pie and I have a date after school.  She always looks forward to these dates where I take her to art galleries or work on some arts & crafts activity.  I think today, we will go somewhere nice (open space with nature) and have some "Lenten art reflection" time.

I look forward to doing these with sweet little Bon-Bon as well as he grows older :)

What do you guys do with your kids?  Would love to learn from your ideas, too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment